Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Paint

My husband and I are not DIYers.  It's unfortunate, because there are a lot of things that could use fixed around here.  We can do some basics, though, so I will be thankful for that.

We decided a while ago that some pictures on a wall in our living room needed to be reconfigured.  After a long winter of indoor basketball games, several pictures have fallen down.  But, while inspecting the wall, I discovered how beat up it was; I quickly determined that painting that one wall (as an "accent wall") would be way easier than trying to match the color of the other walls.  So, off we went to Lowe's to collect some paint color samples.

We landed on a purple shade, called "Crushed Grape".  I went back today and picked up all the supplies, then began the project this afternoon.  After taping off the baseboard and ceiling, I was ready to call it quits. But, I stuck it out and had the wall painted in less than an hour (hey, it's a big wall!).  I've had to touch it up a couple of times (as I sit here, I see another spot that needs touched up...this may never end!), and I figure I'll wait until tomorrow to peel all the tape off.  Fingers crossed that I didn't get it all over the ceiling and floor!

I think we're happy with the end result.  The other walls are a sandy-beige color, so the purple adds some warmth to the room.  It should all work together.  I'm anxious to get the pictures back up on the wall, and maybe someday I'll find some time to sit on the couch and enjoy the new look of our living room.

I may take back what I told Mark last night, though, about how I will just paint the trim on the exterior of the house by myself this summer.  It's been several years since I've painted a room (ok, like 11 years!), and I had forgotten how much work it can be.  Add the outdoor elements (weather, bugs, big ladder), and I think I'm better off calling around for estimates.

Some things just need to be left to professionals.  I'm ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment