Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Diva?

I may be nearing diva status.  Not the typical diva, one who performs and is celebrated for her vocal talents. Rather, something a little different: a Mom Diva.  A Miva?  A Dimo?  I don't know.  The name really isn't that important.

Like many mothers, I'm involved in my kids' activities.  I have always been supportive of them and their endeavors, but I have always promised myself that I wouldn't be that mom.  I don't want to be the obnoxious Dance Mom, the pushy Stage Mom, or the loudmouthed Sports Mom.  I really, really don't want to be any of those people.  I just don't have the time or energy.  I see the reality shows; I've witnessed acts of hard core mom-ing at my own kids' events.  I want none of it.  I'm sure their coaches/instructors appreciate it.

Now, when it comes to school matters, or similar issues, it's a different story.  Any time I find myself in the role of the advocate, I find myself a little bit closer to the diva line.  Or, at least, that is how those on the other side of the issue tend to respond, like I'm some prima donna that they have to satisfy just to shut me up.  When I get what I want for my kids, what I think is in their best interest (I'm not making unreasonable demands), I feel like I'm regarded as that mom.  In this case, I'm ok with it.

I've recently found myself at two different events, which didn't go the way I would have liked, and I was unhappy about it.  For once, these issues weren't directly related to the school, but they were tied to the kids.  I found myself all wound up, spouting things like "There needs to be a change!" and "Maybe I just won't kill myself to participate this year!"  Definitely diva-worthy statements; had my hair been longer, I probably would have flipped it.

Who am I kidding, though?  Of course I'll continue to participate, and I'll suggest changes that will probably be easily dismissed.  That will feed the inner diva in me, I'll throw a couple more hissy fits, and that will be the end of it.  Or will it?  I haven't really decided yet.  (Is this blog post vague enough for you?  Ha!)

Fortunately for everyone, the person who will most likely get to deal with Jen the Diva is my husband. Everyone else will probably see a reserved, maybe scowling, Jen, but don't let that fool you.  I could be just one more frustrating meeting away from becoming a full blown, Real Housewives worthy, diva.

Maybe, at the very least, I'll get my own tv show...

No comments:

Post a Comment