Wednesday, August 6, 2014

One. More. Week.

Ah, the most glorious day of the year will soon be upon us: the first day of school.

Now, before all my teacher friends start throwing things at their computer (or whichever device of choice you might use to read my ramblings), I ask you to consider the current state of my household:


  • Three kids, yelling at each other when one looks at another sideways, for no apparent reason except to see how quickly my head will explode
  • Laundry out the wazoo because these kids find it necessary to change their clothes four times a day
  • Library books collecting dust, chores not finished, toys on every surface of this house...until I lose my face at them for not listening when I tell them to read a book or clean up after themselves
  • A mom on the edge of her seat (and sanity), counting down the days until school starts and also counting to ten more times than she cares to admit

Just because the kids return to school does not mean that any of this will stop. The kids will still yell at each other before and after school, there will always be a ridiculous amount of laundry, and I will still have to flip out and/or count to ten when dealing with all their shenanigans. However, every school day there will be a lovely six hour break from the nonsense. And that, my friends, is the key to keeping my last shreds of sanity intact. I need that break. It is the only thing that will help me build up my patience reservoir, and unless Costco starts selling huge vats of patience (wouldn't that be great?), it will take me until next May (why does school let out so early?!?) to completely restore it. 

As my boys are gleefully yelling "BUTT CHEEKS" upstairs, while they should be brushing their teeth and getting ready for bed, I can just sit here and remind myself over and over: One. More. Week.

I just might make it.


No comments:

Post a Comment