Saturday, August 30, 2014

Gratitude Challenge: Day 1

There are several trends circulating on Facebook, as always, but the Gratitude Challenge is a good way to remind ourselves of all the things in our lives for which we are thankful. I can say, with complete certainty, that it is easy to forget these things when life's chaos escalates (back to school, ugh!).

So, I give to you my first three things for which I am grateful:


  1. Inclusive Opportunities for Alex: As many parents of children with special needs do, we struggle in securing inclusive experiences for Alex. School, sports, and extracurricular activities all present many opportunities for Alex, but not everything is adapted as easily as it could be. When Alex came home last week and expressed excitement over the 4th Grade Strings Program, I was both happy and apprehensive. I thought it would just be one more battle. I am relieved to report that it's been surprisingly easy so far! Not only is the teacher excited to have him, he should also have an aide for the after-school program (I didn't even have to ask!), and the staff at a local strings store was lovely and didn't bat an eye because Alex isn't the typical student. It's been awesome. Alex is still quite excited!
  2. Confidence-Building Opportunities for Addie: Ad gets her shyness from me, I will admit. She is quiet and reserved, until you really get to know her. I have seen how my introverted ways have held me back in certain situations, and I'm eager to help her learn how to not be so quiet. Addie has an opportunity to serve as a class assistant for her dance studio, so she will get to help teach 5-6 year olds in addition to taking her own classes. She is over the moon with excitement, and I am hopeful this will build her confidence so her inner light can shine through a bit brighter.
  3. Snuggles from Andrew: Last week, I took Andrew to a friend's birthday party. Before we left the house, he informed me that I shouldn't talk to him at the party, because I might embarrass him. KINDERGARTEN!! He is in Kindergarten. This is way too early to start being ashamed of his old mom, and apparently, my expression reflected this sentiment because he quickly retracted it. He still needs snuggles throughout the day, and I do appreciate each one, because I know that all too soon he won't take back his instructions to not embarrass him in front of friends.
Stay tuned for the next three items in tomorrow's blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment