Sunday, June 1, 2014

Ice Cream

I don't know if I've ever met anyone who does not enjoy some type of ice cream.

I was born in a smallish town, which had several family owned ice cream joints.  We could walk down to the end of our street and get an ice cream cone out of an old caboose.  It was awesome.  After we moved to Columbus, we lost that piece of small town charm.  We had a Dairy Queen right across the street from our first home, and that was cool (and it was before DQ went super corporate, so that location was more of a hybrid), but it wasn't the walk-up type of ice cream joint.

I still miss that.

Don't get me wrong; we have great options for ice cream here, so I'm not complaining.  I love treats from Jeni's and Graeter's, as do my kids.  But, sadly, neither one of those fine establishments has a Smurf cone. Ah, the Smurf cone; a childhood favorite.  This concoction consisted of blue soft serve ice cream, a marshmallow hat, and candy eyes.  Perfection on a cone.

Today, I saw several posts from Facebook friends that mention an ice cream place not terribly far from my house.  It seems to have that element that I miss about my trips for ice cream as a child, and I'm very happy to hear that they have a Smurf cone.  I am definitely excited to check it out.

Seriously, I might have just declared tomorrow as National Ice Cream for Lunch Day.




No comments:

Post a Comment