Friday, June 27, 2014

4th of July Grinch

We all know the story of the Grinch, that prickly yet lovable character who first despises Christmas but then learns the beauty of the holiday.

I'm thinking the Grinch would also hate 4th of July, with all of its "noise, noise, NOISE, NOISE!"   Of course, the food that typically accompanies this holiday is good, but the thought of singeing all his fur off while holding a sparkler is reason enough for the Grinch to hate it.

In my neighborhood, the backyard fireworks have already started, as they do every year.  The local pyromaniacs choose to light up the sky with their amateur displays, typically either right after the kids drift off to sleep, or as we're fighting to get them to bed.  Two of my three kids are terrified of the noise, and the poor dog will probably also be scared (having just rescued her in September, we haven't yet celebrated 7/4 with her around; since she's scared of rain storms, I'm willing to bet fireworks scare her, too).  My house is full of enough chaos without adding in the extra noise and drama.

Listen, I'm all for fun, and I get that fireworks are a part of this holiday.  But, really, every night for a week on either side of the holiday is too much.  Have some consideration for those around you.  There are many children and dogs who simply can't handle the noise, and their parents are sick of the nonsense.

If your heart is set on blowing off a finger or setting your home (or a neighbor's home) on fire, maybe you could find a quieter way to do it?  And just don't save your (probably illegal) fireworks for your New Year celebration.  I don't like to hear fireworks that night, either.

While the Grinch eventually learns to love Christmas, I just don't see how he would ever learn to love July 4th.  He and I both could do without the noise.

End rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment