Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Reading Rainbow

I've always loved reading.  When I was a kid, Reading Rainbow was a favorite show; it brought together two things I enjoyed: books and television.  It was almost soothing to sit and listen to a story read while primitive animations brought the whole story to life.  And who doesn't love Levar Burton?  

With the recent campaign to bring Reading Rainbow back to kids, I couldn't help but notice a dvd of an episode on a shelf at our library.  I quickly grabbed it, not knowing who would appreciate it more; at the very least, it was something the kids and I could sit and watch together, maybe even during the magical, mostly non-existent "quiet time" that I stubbornly try to enforce every day (and mostly fail at implementing).

Tonight seemed like a good night to introduce RR; not knowing what it was, the kids were intrigued. Andrew just wasn't ready to go to bed, and Addie loves anything that is associated with rainbows.  As soon as it began to play, though, I got worried; it's not like any of the shows that they watch now.  It's more low key and laid back, gentle and soothing.  I figured they might call it boring, and abandon my idea of "quality family snuggle time on the couch".  

I was totally wrong.  They loved it.  

We watched the two episodes on the disc; halfway through, they were already asking if there are more than the two we have from the library.  I will soon be reserving more!

Beyond the quality snuggle time, the quiet, and the relaxed kids, these shows spurred conversations that we probably wouldn't have otherwise had tonight.  "Mommy, do you like whales?  What do whales eat?  How did that manatee get hurt?  Do you like the manatees at the zoo?"

Awesome.  But, as the saying goes, "you don't have to take my word for it!"  Share these with your kids. I can't wait to watch more with mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment