Monday, May 19, 2014

Pioneer Day

Today was the third graders' Pioneer Day.  I was fortunate enough to juggle my schedule so I could volunteer at the event.  I'm so glad I did!

Alex was a little apprehensive about wearing a pioneer costume, but he ultimately skipped off happily to the bus.  I, on the other hand, was maybe a little too excited about wearing an authentic outfit; my mom was kind enough to sew a skirt, coordinating apron, and bonnet for me to wear (yes, volunteers have to dress the part, too!).

We make great pioneers!

The students visited many different stations, where they got to make butter, dip candles, stamp leather, play games, and experience several other activities.  Al's favorite, though, was square dancing.  Anyone who knows my Alex knows how much he adores dancing.  He has been practicing his square dancing steps for the last couple of weeks, and today I got to see him in action.  

He was amazing!  I thought he would be able to keep up, but I was impressed with his dancing.  He looked like he was having such fun, too, which made it even better!  All the kids in his class did a fantastic job with their dancing.  It was fun to watch!

Bow to your partner!

I can't think of a better way to spend a day off.  Only four days of school left until summer break!


No comments:

Post a Comment