Sunday, February 9, 2014

Slippery

And the never-ending winter marches on...

We had more snow today.  That's on top of the many inches of snow, and ice, that fell last week...which never got plowed.  Our neighborhood is a mess.  Slicker than snot, some might say (in fact, I just said that, not ten minutes ago).  We live in an awkward part of the city, where we have a city address, and our children do not attend city schools (as we fall into a different school district), but we live in a different county than most who have a city address.  Our neighborhood was annexed by the city at some point, so our services are provided by the city (as opposed to the neighboring township, which has its own services). This only becomes an issue on days like this when there is a lot of snow on the ground and we rarely, if ever, see a plow.  Hence, the slippery roads.  The snow finally started to melt today, only to refreeze, causing even slicker conditions.  I was out a bit earlier this evening and almost crashed into some cars parked on the street (and you may have already read that this is also a problem in my neighborhood; seriously, it's a mess over here). 

So now I'm worried that the kids' school bus won't be able to make it down the street tomorrow morning.  I mean, there's basically an obstacle course waiting for the driver, courtesy of Mother Nature and inconsiderate neighbors.  But, there's not much you can do about it on a Sunday evening...except tweet at the mayor, pleading for a snow plow to visit my neighborhood.  So that's what I did.  I bet that will be right at the top of his list tomorrow morning, ha.  But, if nothing else, it made me feel a little better, and gave my husband a break from listening to me complain about it all. 

If we could get through this week of school, without a delayed start or snow day, I might shed tears of happiness.  They only have to get through four days, because they have a scheduled four day weekend (off on Friday and next Monday...I know, I don't get it, either...they've had enough time off, but whatever).  I can't remember a time when I was more anxious for spring to arrive. 

And by spring, I mean forty degree days and no more snow.  That's not asking too much.  This is Ohio, after all, and I learned long ago to not expect too much of the weather, for it has a mind of its own. Until then, perhaps the residents in my neighborhood should look into placing a bulk order for snow shoes and cross country skis.  We could certainly get a lot of use of them right now.




No comments:

Post a Comment