Thursday, February 6, 2014

Olympics

I love the Olympics.  The excitement, the pageantry, the uniforms.  It's all very exciting. 

This time around, there has been a lot of negativity surrounding the games.  Being a supporter of equal rights for all, I am troubled and concerned about the safety of the athletes and those attending the events.  I'm hopeful for a peaceful experience.  If you are able to look past that (huge) issue, you will certainly hear about the less than appealing accommodations in Sochi.  When you combine it all together, the sparkle and shine of the Olympic games is definitely dulled.

As the games begin, though, I hope that the true spirit of the event outshines all the negative reports we're sure to hear throughout the next couple of weeks.  I know that I will watch the events and marvel over the hard work and determination that was put forth by the athletes (and their families!) in the years leading up to their big moments. 

The Olympics are a great opportunity to sit with my family to watch something that we all enjoy.  There are few shows on television that we can all watch together, so these games are a big deal in my house.  I love how passionate the kids can be while watching; cheering on their favorite athletes, worrying over those who fall or are injured, insisting that we all stand every time our national anthem is played during a medal ceremony.  It's really cool to share the Olympics with my kids. 

In fact, I think I will try to focus on this during these winter games.  I'll try to watch them through my kids' eyes, and just see the splendor and the athleticism, and not get too wrapped up in the reality that threatens the event this year.  If I can pull that off, I think we'll all enjoy the games a bit more.


No comments:

Post a Comment