Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Peeps

With Easter approaching, we are being inundated with candy.  Every time I turn around, I see a display, or a commercial, or a new candy-infused pin on Pinterest.  It almost makes my teeth hurt.

When I was young(er?), I loved waking up to find a generously filled basket on Easter morning.  Candy galore: chocolate eggs, chocolate covered marshmallow eggs, jelly beans, and Peeps.  Thinking about it now, I wonder how I didn't have any cavities as a child.  I remember filling up my cute little purse with a bunch of candy, so I could eat it throughout church.

These days, I'm not sure I could eat a whole Peep.  I think they might just be too sweet.  I've even seen chocolate covered Peeps; to me, that is just pure nonsense.  Chocolate should never have to compete with that sugary coating.  In my attempts to find a fun dessert to make for Easter dinner, I came across a Peep trifle.  It didn't even look good; the sugar was almost dripping off my computer screen.

Maybe I'm just too old to appreciate the pure sugary goodness of Peeps.  I don't know.  Maybe I should just keep an open mind, and give them another try.  My kids will probably find a colorful array of Peeps in their baskets on Sunday.  That bunny enjoys leaving the sugar, you know.

What's your favorite Easter candy?

2 comments:

  1. I'm doing 6 Easter Baskets for my great nieces & nephews. Since they are getting a ton of candy at home I will be giving them very little candy with a small toy for each. Their grandmother and aunt Amy will give little candy also with coloring books, crayons and age appropriate toys. I always enjoyed malted milk eggs and peanut butter eggs for Easter but I have type 2 diabetes now :-(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the kids will have an amazing holiday! :) Happy Easter!

      Delete