Saturday, April 12, 2014

Music

This afternoon, Alex began music lessons.  I noticed a Facebook post on a local networking board, and when I checked out the website, I was immediately intrigued.

Alex has always loved music.  He enjoys singing, dancing, playing instruments; all aspects of music really appeal to him, and we've always tried to encourage that.  So far, I think we've done a pretty good job of that.  He takes dance classes and sings with the children's choir at church; the only thing that was missing was music lessons.

I've hesitated with lessons in the past because I didn't think we could find anyone who would just let Alex explore and enjoy whatever instrument was put in front of him.  I didn't want another recital, or more testing; the kid just wants to play music.  After reading the philosophy of the music teacher who posted on Facebook, I thought we had hit the musical jackpot, and we were really excited to get him started.  Even better, the teacher is just as excited to work with Alex.  Sometimes, it's really cool how things just seem to work out.

Alex sat with him today and played different notes, in different sounds, on a keyboard.  He loved it!  After the lesson, when I was talking to Al about the next lesson, he said that his teacher was going to bring a guitar. "I love that!", he said, beaming, and then bounced off to play basketball.

I look forward to seeing (and hearing!) how Alex progresses in his lessons.  It should be a fun ride!

1 comment: