Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Super

In a culture that is seemingly obsessed with super heroes, it's fun to think of which magnificent powers I would like to possess should I be given the choice.  Top of my list?  Invisibility, I think.  Or maybe the power of flight, or teleportation.  Then, finding items that are lost (if you know the troubles we have at my house with losing things, you'll understand why this one ranks so high on my list).  And (can't leave this one out!), the power to cook a fantastic meal rather than a so-so one.

And then, reality sets in, and the grown up in me points out that none of that could ever happen (especially the cooking one!).  But surprisingly, we do all possess super powers.  You just have to know how to recognize them.  The following are just a few that I've been considering.

Knowing when to shake your head and walk away from ridiculous Facebook debates.  Or staying out of them all together.  There is huge power in that.  Don't get me wrong; I enjoy a good debate, even when I don't agree with the others participating.  Most of the time, those topics begin innocently enough, and you can often learn something.  But, when ignorance and disrespect take over the conversation, it's time to step back and move on to something else. That is difficult to do, because everybody wants to defend their position and get the last word, but when the tone turns nasty, there's no winning anything.

Advocating for your children at school, whether they have "special needs" or not. (And, for what it's worth, I do not like the term "special needs".  All children have special needs, because they are individuals. But that's another blog for another time, maybe...)  This is definitely a super power.  It is often difficult to speak up, especially when it comes to a policy or procedure that not everybody considers an issue.  It is our job, however, to be the voice for our children.  Sometimes, you may even find that opening up a dialogue about an issue helps you better understand the reason for it.  If that is the case, then at least you've let the school (or whatever policy-making body you are questioning) know that you are paying attention.

Imparting your beliefs, without being hateful or defensive.  This is a tough one.  Being passionate about an issue often comes off as being negative toward the opposition of said issue.  You have to find a way to stand up for what you believe, while maintaining a meaningful stance, without coming off as angry.  But, sometimes you are angry about it, and rightfully so, but it can seep in to any reasonable thought processes. Finding the right balance is certainly empowering.

Recreating an idea from Pinterest and having it look close to the picture in the pin.  Am I right? How awesome would it be to have success in every single idea you see?  If I ever get close to even one pinned idea, I'll wear a cape around and become Super Pinterest Mom.

Going to Target and spending less than $50.  Seriously.  I don't even know that Superman could pull this one off.

So, obviously, some powers are greater than others, and I'm sure the list could be way longer.  I think I could go on and on, but tell me: what would you consider your super power?

And, in case you're wondering, I think you're all just super.  ;)







No comments:

Post a Comment