Sunday, January 26, 2014

Grammys

Ok, we all know that I enjoy award shows.  'Tis the season for them.  Tonight, we get the Grammys.

I missed the first hour or so of the show, as we had our monthly Dinner Company this evening (and it was totally worth missing the opening of the Grammys!).  So, after we arrived home and I finally sat down to update Addie's Girl Scout cookie form, enter some AVON orders, and scan Facebook, I turned the show on.  

I love how in the last couple of years, the Grammy performances have incorporated more than one act, blended together.  So, so cool.  I will probably pay for this tomorrow morning, but since the kids have a school delay tomorrow, and because they love music so much, I let them stay up way past their bedtimes to cheer on their favorite singers.  Alex went crazy when Daft Punk performed with Stevie Wonder, and Addie loved watching Sara Bareilles play with Carole King ("Brave" is one of her favorite songs right now). And who doesn't love watching the Beatles?!?  It's so much fun to see these performances, but it's also awesome to watch the kids get so excited over music.

Music has a huge impact on our lives.  It's such an important element, I think, because we can always have music playing, at least in the background (or in our heads, even), no matter what we're doing.  It can lift our moods, motivate us, help us focus.  It is there when we're happy, and there when we're sad, and there for everything in between.  It knows no boundaries.  Alex has obvious differences from his peers at school, but they can all connect through music.  There aren't many other things that have the same impact as that.  

My kids have fantastic taste in music.  They love some current pop music, but because Mark and I don't favor that genre as much, they are able to discover it on their own.  Even though I'm not a fan of Taylor Swift doesn't mean that my kids can't be.  But they don't limit themselves.  They adore the Beatles, punk out with the Ramones, and dance with me to Thao and the Get Down Stay Down (we do love our kitchen dance parties!).  They will sit and listen to jazz, classical, rock, and even some country music.  They may not even realize that they are listening to different types of music...to them, it's just "music".  

If I can keep their eclectic love of music alive, I will be one happy mama.  They may not always want to have impromptu dance parties in the kitchen, but with any luck, a love of music is something that we will always share.

No comments:

Post a Comment