Sunday, January 5, 2014

Overtime

Well, another day off tomorrow.  I have mixed feelings.

The kids were finished at school for holiday break on December 19th...16 days ago, if you're counting.  We've kept busy, with the holidays, trips to see movies, visits with family and friends.  But it's been 16 days.  The kids miss their routines, and their friends.  I miss having at least two hours, Tuesdays through Fridays, where I can just go be "Jen" for a while.  Before last night, I had not left the house without a kid since break started...16 days ago.

Don't get me wrong; I love my children, to the moon and back, and I know that they love me, too.  After a long break in their schedule, though, we drive each other crazy.  They need the time away from me and the house just as much as I need a break.  They need to exercise their independence, and I need to decompress.

So, imagine my concern late last week when reports of a big snow storm started rolling down my Facebook newsfeed.  I wasn't as worried about impending snow (as storm tracks change, and often manage to not land on us) as I was about the bone chilling temperatures that were to follow.  I knew right then that we wouldn't be closed for snow, but chances were probably pretty good that we wouldn't have school due to super cold temperatures and wind chills.  A "snow day" means that holiday break would be extended.  I was torn.

At least one more day cooped up in the house with the kids (as Alex does not do well in cold temps, so there is no way I'm planning an outing!), which means they will continue to climb the walls.  On one hand, we get to put off the battles of post-break transitions for one more day; on the other hand, I now get to deal with more shenanigans from the kids.

More unintended mischief like the activity I just caught Alex doing in the kitchen, right now as I type.  I was trying to decide what to blog today, and Alex was calling to me from the kitchen about "bubbles".  I heard the water running, and figured he was filling the sink with dish soap bubbles.  A mess, sure, but it was keeping him busy and he was giggling and enjoying himself.  It wasn't until he started toward me with our fish, Bubbles, in his hand, that I realized the running water meant that he was trying to clean the little tank in which Bubbles lives (er, lived?  Perhaps too soon to tell...I think the poor fish is in shock...).  He meant the fish no harm, but really?  Really?!?

Or, maybe more fun like the stunt Andrew pulled today at church.  Communion is always served on the first Sunday of the month, and I love Communion service because it is so peaceful and lovely.  After everyone is served, the congregation joins hands, the lights are low, and everyone sings the Lord's Prayer.  As the song comes to an end, the lights come back up in the church...powerful, right?  Well, it usually is, but today Andrew decided that licking my hand was a good idea.  So there I am, trying to enjoy a typically serene moment, while my kid is licking me and cackling because I'm trying to discreetly pull my hand away.  Ugh.

But, I'm sure we'll be fine tomorrow.  We'll find something to do.  Maybe we'll bake some cookies, play some board games.  Perhaps we'll have a funeral for a fish.  We'll see what the day brings.  Let's just cross our fingers that after Tuesday (because the cold snap doesn't sound like it will be a quick one...), "snow days" will be few and far between.

Did I mention they will have been out of school for 16  17 days?!?



No comments:

Post a Comment