Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Gym

I've never been a big fan of "the gym".  It didn't matter where; I've toured many of them, joined a few, and quit most.  I just didn't enjoy the environment; I never felt comfortable.  However, after learning that a new Planet Fitness would open nearby, and after seeing their commercials (all which somehow include "...and that's why I don't like gyms"), I decided to give it another go.

And the funniest thing happened: I realized that I am a fan of the gym!  Aside from writing (ok, and eating, but I'm working on that...kind of), it's my only other release from the chaos I endure on a daily basis.  Do I need to lose weight?  Sure; at least a little.  Do I need to be stronger?  Definitely.  If I can accomplish those two things while I take a break from my crazy little world, then I'll be in good shape.  (Ha!  See what I did there?)

Today, after a long break (too long!), I made it back to the gym.  It felt good...at the time.  Now, I'm extra tired and a little sore, but after maybe a month off (no child care + extra long holiday break = no free time for Mom, not even for exercise), I shouldn't expect less.  I know it will take me a while to build back up to where I was in early December, but as long as I keep going, then I'm making progress.  Baby steps.

The gym also offers some excellent people watching.  Notice, I say "watching", and not "judging".  I used to always be afraid that people were watching me workout, and I would worry that I was doing something wrong (or not lifting enough, or going fast enough on the elliptical).  Maybe I'm just wiser than I was the last time I made an effort of this sort, but I can say that now, I don't really care.  If someone wants to pass judgment on me, then they have more issues than I do.  But, I will admit, I enjoy the people watching aspect of working out.  Mostly, I'm admiring people; those who are there when I arrive and stay longer than I do, those who seem so determined to reach whatever goal they have in mind.  But, there are also those who really pique my curiosity: the lady who wears slacks and a cardigan to work out, the guy who is a borderline "lunk" (I do appreciate the fact that "lunks" are not permitted in my gym, so the borderline lunk is quite perplexing), the guy that wears way too much cologne.  These are the people I find interesting, because I want to know what their stories are.  What brings them there?  What are they hoping to achieve?  And why, oh why, all the cologne?!?  Wondering about these things just helps me pass the time, especially when I'm sweating all over a cardio machine.  

Hopefully, tomorrow morning I will wake up and not talk myself out of returning to the gym.  Cold mornings are tough; it's a race to get the kids ready for their bus on time, and then get Andrew to preschool.  It's really all to easy to convince myself that the morning would be better spent wandering around Target.  

But, I made it through today's workout, so I can make it through another one.  





No comments:

Post a Comment