Monday, October 20, 2014

Stimming

Alex has a new habit: burping.

He is making me crazy with it; in our 18 minute commute home tonight, he averaged around 5 burps/minute. That is 90 burps in one car ride. I really can't take it.

I've read that children with Down syndrome will demonstrate a stimming behavior when they are seeking sensory input. So, I've been trying to figure out what we can offer to replace the belching. We've been through this before, with teeth grinding and nipple rubbing (his own, not someone else's, but still...). Before we can find a solution, he seems to move on to another behavior. This one is killing me.

I know his impulsiveness plays into this, but beyond that, I'm stumped. We were told that it's "just a boy thing", but I'm not buying it. Burping at the table, or in class, for laughs is one thing; relentless belching is another. It's gross, it's socially unacceptable, and my nerves are completely shot. There has to be more behind it. Maybe his ears are full of fluid, and this helps him pop them? I feel like that's a stretch. He says there is something stuck in his throat, and that his tooth is loose. I can't piece either of those together. He does have an appointment with his ENT on Friday, so perhaps we can gain some insight from that.

Good, good times. So how was your Monday?

No comments:

Post a Comment