Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Oops

My patience wore down quicker than it usually does this morning, especially for a Wednesday. No one wanted to get up, get dressed for school, or listen to any words that I said. We're all exhausted; I get it. I tried my best to stay calm and go with the flow of the morning, even though we were on course to be late for everything.

After Alex and Addie left on the bus, Andrew and I scurried about, gathering our things so we could leave the house as well. Andrew is old enough to be responsible for his things, as are his siblings, and I try to hold them accountable rather than just doing things for them because it's quicker. (This also contributes to the process of wearing down my patience, though!)

As we were loading up the van (Wednesdays are very long days and I leave the house with a ton of stuff!), Andrew realized that he left his water bottle in the house.

My response? "Well, I guess you better march your happy little tushie back inside to get it!" Yeah, probably not wise to add sarcasm to a hectic morning, but I totally went there. He hopped out of the van, ran back into the house, and came out looking quite irritated.

"Andrew, what's wrong?"

"Mommy! It is not nice to make fun of someone's body parts!" came his immediate answer.

Obviously concerned, I agreed with him. "You're absolutely right! It's never ok to make fun of anybody, but especially for the way they look! What made you think of this?"

"Uh, Mommy, you just did it! You made fun of my happy butt!"

My left eyebrow about shot off the top of my head. "Oh, Andrew, no. I wasn't making fun of your tushie. It was just an expression. I'm sorry if it hurt your feelings. I promise I wasn't making fun of you."

Goodness. I guess I need to watch my snarky comments. What a way to start the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment