Monday, June 10, 2013

You Talk Too Much

**Please note: this is not the forum for a political debate.  Feel free to disagree with me, or take offense to my sarcastic spin on a current event, but keep your comments to yourself.  xoxo

So, with all the uproar over the NSA listening in to phone conversations, I find one thing very funny: people are STILL having conversations on their mobile phones, out in public, for the whole world to hear.  You would think that if a person had their undies in such a bunch over who could be listening in to their business, they wouldn't continue to yammer on in front of anyone who crosses their path.  Seriously.  And it's not just one-sided conversations.  For one thing, if you're waiting in line somewhere, chances are you have your phone turned way up so everyone can hear your chat buddy, therefore putting your entire discussion in jeopardy.  I could be a spy, for all you know.  Of course I'm not; I'm not that cool.  But someone else could be.  Or you could be.  Wait, are you?  Doesn't matter; I couldn't care less if I wanted to.  If someone wants to listen to me bitch about the PTO or chatter on about my kids, fine by me.

Some people take it one (ridiculous) step further and put their phones on speaker, and then the whole freaking world can listen in to their phone calls.  How obnoxious is that?  If I'm out shopping, I certainly do not want to hear about whatever it is going on in your life.  Get over yourself.  That conversation is not so important that you can't wait until you can dedicate the use of one arm just for holding the phone to your ear.  

I see post after post about the wire tapping incidents on Facebook, Twitter, in the newspaper; I hear about it on the radio.  People are concerned, and with every right.  I'm not denying that, or trying to make light of the issue at its core.  Yet their concerns still don't stop people from blabbering on (and on and on...) in public forums, about every detail of their life.  Do they think they have total control over who may be hearing/seeing all of it?  I find the irony amusing.

When did the advancement of technology diminish the value of common courtesy?  It is rude to clamor on endlessly on your phone in public.  Am I wrong about that?  I'm not saying that I don't do it, but I at least know that I'm at risk for being overheard.  Nobody wants to hear your conversations, but they'll listen anyway (especially if it sounds like a juicy convo!), and then you'll go online and complain or make fun of the fact that you have no privacy?  I don't understand it.  So I'll poke fun at it.

It's what I do.




No comments:

Post a Comment