Saturday, December 29, 2012

Snowy Saturday

I do not like snow.  It's cold, it makes the roads difficult to navigate, and it adds a good 20 minutes to the time it takes me to get the kids ready to go anywhere.  Good think I live in Ohio, right?

We woke up this morning to another couple inches of snow; the kids were thrilled, and I feigned excitement as they made plans for sledding and snowmen.  We're all fighting off colds, but knowing that they would need to burn off some energy, I didn't try to talk them out of playing outside.  Fortunately, they decided that playing inside was a better choice.

As they played board games and fought as only siblings can, I decided to try out something I saw on Pinterest.  Not a fun craft, or recipe, but a homemade cleaner for the shower.  Yep, I decided to take on the nasty shower, my nemesis.  When we bought this house, the builder guy told us that we would need to grout the shower.  So, Mark did just that.  However, we were then informed (by a neighbor, I believe) that all we really had to do was seal the grout in the shower.  Obviously, our shower is a mess, and it is nearly impossible to clean.  As a busy mom, I am great at putting "my things" last on the ominous to-do list: my laundry, my meals (how often do I look up to find that it's already 2pm and I haven't eaten yet?), cleaning my room and bathroom.  Ok, so even if I wasn't super busy, I probably would still place the cleaning at the bottom of the list.  Especially lately, with all the talk of the Mayans and their infamous calendar, I certainly wasn't going to waste any precious moments scrubbing the shower stall.

Freaking Mayans.

As happy as I am that the world is still marching along, I officially ran out of excuses today.  Having almost recovered from Christmas, and being stuck inside on a cold, snowy Saturday, I decided to quit whining (in my head, of course) about the stinking shower and just clean it.  I mixed up the magical cleaner I found on Pinterest (I almost expected sparkly stars to come flying out of the bucket), opened Pandora on my phone, took a deep breath, and started scrubbing.

And scrubbing.  And scrubbing.  And more scrubbing.

Two hours later, I realized that I am probably slightly obsessive compulsive about the cleanliness of the shower.  I guess it's all or nothing; it either doesn't get cleaned, or I clean the daylights out of it.  Maybe I just enjoyed the solitude as I listened to some favorite tunes.  Mark wasn't about to interrupt me; he was either happy that I was doing something domestic, or in shock.  Eh, a clean shower is a clean shower.

The rest of my day was consumed by even more Pinterest daydreaming (I need a good homemade cleaner for the soap scum on the glass shower doors...and at least five more chicken recipes, right?), playing with the kids and their new Christmas toys, and just laying on the couch.  It was lovely.  I've almost forgotten how to be a couch potato, since I typically never even sit down on the couch for five minutes because our schedules are so crazy.

I guess that snowy days are good for a couple of things.  Relaxing and nemesis battling.  Both long overdue. With any luck, tomorrow will bring more of the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment