Tuesday, March 20, 2018

When the Ordinary is Extraordinary

Last week, Alex overslept (the time change is hard!) and missed his bus, so I drove him to school. We pulled into the designated car drop off line, and when it was our turn, he gave me a quick "Bye, Mom!" and then jumped out of the car and hurried into the school. I watched him walk into the building before I drove away, but knew that he would go straight to his locker, put away his coat and gather his supplies, and then report to his homeroom.

All on his own.

Without me hovering.

He did what most every other middle schooler did that morning.

It was so simple, yet so remarkable, all at the same time. I'd be lying if I said I didn't tear up when I drove away. Not because he doesn't need me anymore, but because so many people have doubted him, from the second he was born, but there he was...being a typical teenage kid, going to school, just like his peers. Down syndrome isn't holding him back like we once worried it would. Sure, he needs extra time and support, but he has proved time and time again that he is capable. He can do hard things, just like the rest of us.

This World Down Syndrome Day (3.21.18), I hope for even more ordinary moments. I want to see him accomplishing all of the plain, boring things that teenagers and young adults do. School work, sports, clubs, friends; I want to see him be included in all of the mundane activities that most of us take for granted.

I want to see him continue to exceed expectations.

All on his own.

Without me hovering.

I'll just have to remember to keep extra tissues in my bag.


2 comments:

  1. It is hard to let our kiddos be more independent at times, isn't it? I'm trying to let my 11-year-old (who has autism) do more, but I still get freaked out when she is out of my sight! She is going on a class trip to Washington, DC next spring (without me), and that will be the ultimate experience in not heliocopter parenting!

    Bethany
    http://happilyloco.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super hard! You are braver than I, as I will be accompanying Alex to DC on his class trip in October...with the promise that I won't hover. ;) Thanks for reading!

      Delete