Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Writing Again

A few years ago, a dear friend challenged herself to blog every day. She did it, beautifully, and inspired me to do the same the following year. I don't think I did it as well as she did, and while some of my posts probably shouldn't be counted as an entry (I used the ol' "I can't think of anything to write but this totally still counts for today!" line more times than I should admit), I finished out 2014 with 365 new posts.

And then I blogged all of four times in 2015.

I didn't just hit the blogging wall; I crashed into it and laid there, quietly (quiet in the blogosphere, anyway!) for most of the year. I don't even think I was burned out, but I certainly wasn't disciplined enough to keep up a steady writing pace. While I needed some time to reflect on my writing, I regret not blogging more than those four times. Three of those four were pretty decent; two were stories about Alex, and one was a snarky piece about booking a Disney vacation (and from that, I learned that you should never bad mouth that mouse, or anything relating to him, without falling under fast criticism of all his adoring fans...yeesh!).

Last week, I was moved to sit down and open up my blog. With the last day of school quickly approaching, I was inspired to write about my oldest son's final days of elementary school. I pounded out a letter to my Alex; it didn't take me long, but it was heartfelt and I meant every single word. At the suggestion of friends, I submitted it to a couple different online publications...and then I sat in fear that one of them would actually post it. I am a pretty sensitive person, for better or for worse, and I feared that it wouldn't be well received if it was published outside of my little duck pond.

I was wrong to worry.

My piece was picked up, it's been read and shared far and wide, and so far I've only heard positive feedback from it. If there are any naysayers, I'd rather not know. It was way outside of my comfort zone to share my writing, and hopefully I will be brave enough to do it again. I am more than grateful for the enthusiastic response, and for the way that piece has resonated with so many parents. At the very least, I hope this experience will inspire me to sit down and write more when the urge strikes, like I did last week. If nothing else, I hope to have more than four posts for 2016.

To those who encourage me, thank you. Keep doing it, please. I need all the help I can get.


No comments:

Post a Comment