Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Holiday PSA

I started this year by blogging about my wish for 2013: Just. Be. Nice.  I figured I should revisit that topic before the year ends, so here we go.

As you are out finishing up (starting?) your holiday shopping, just be nice.  Easy peasy.  I've been doing this, and it does make a difference.  Smile at the lady who comes flying out of an aisle and almost runs you down with her cart.  She's not trying to flatten you; she is just as distracted as you are with her holiday task list.  Wave to the car that lets you in a huge line of traffic.  They don't have to let you in (although, they should, especially since someone else probably let them in, but whatever), but they did, so let them know you appreciate it.  Don't raise your voice at a customer service rep because the post office is holding your shipment from their company.  I'm pretty sure they lost control over the situation once they handed over your package to ship.  It's very frustrating, but not their fault, and certainly not the fault of the poor soul that took your call.  Be kind to the cashier who may seem completely over it and frazzled; they probably hit the wall a week ago.  Their feet are tired, their patience is thin, they are being paid in beans.  A kind customer in the midst of a horde of nasty ones could make a difference in their whole day.  It's everyone's holiday; you are not alone in your preparations and celebrations.

Think I'm being bossy by telling you to be nice?  Well, get over it.  We're all in the same boat...the big, red, glitter-covered, time-is-running-out holiday boat that sets sail in less than a week.  Might as well be nice to each other, because it will make the whole experience a little less stressful.  Do I never have a bad day during the holidays?  Of course I do!  But, I've been on the other end of the madness, and trust me, it sucks.  I get it: everyone is tired and stressed.  That, however, is not a free pass to be a jerk.  Using basic manners and kindness will help you get through the last stretch of the holidays.  I promise.

So, here's to smiling and waving at strangers, being friendly with tired cashiers, and not screaming like a lunatic when your packages don't arrive.  Merry Christmas to all, and don't be a Grinch.

1 comment: