Monday, November 25, 2013

Redemption

After last week's adventure into the Disney Store, they earned a spot on my "list".  Any more, it's not difficult to land on my list, as most places seem to have tossed customer service aside.  There were two new additions to the list just last week; at this rate, I won't have any stores left to shop.  (Wait...did you hear that?  It's the sound of my husband rejoicing at the thought of me no longer shopping.)

However, as of this morning I still had my stupid Disney coupon, and I still needed to pick up my Planes dvd, and Andrew still wanted Bulldog the plane.  So, after my workout, I headed back to the Disney Store, all the while hoping that Santa would not throw a wrench into my shopping efforts once again.  I was determined to accomplish this simple task that had become quite ridiculous.

When I entered the store, I immediately headed to the shelves where the planes are displayed, only to search all of them and not find the elusive Bulldog.  I had absolutely no patience left for this expedition (yes, that quickly), and just wanted to get out of there.  But, because I really needed to pick up a couple of birthday gifts, I figured I should suck it up and take advantage of the coupon.  So a browsin' I went.

I should note that not one person greeted me, or stopped to ask me if I needed assistance, and after about 15 minutes I was convinced that someone had shared my last blog post with them, and that they recognized me (damn bright pinkish-red coat!).  The very thought was quite amusing and frustrating, all at the same time. One woman (whom I later determined to be a supervisor) was apparently too busy rearranging tshirts to ask me if I needed help, even after I stood right next to her, purposefully looking lost and confused, silently daring her to talk to me.  No luck.  And yes, I realize that sounds a little psycho, but hey, I don't criticize your hobbies.

Then, like a bright ray of Disney magic, a friendly face appeared in front of me, commenting on a book I had selected for my Addie (to put in her stocking).  We started chatting about the book, she showed me another stocking stuffer idea, then she asked that question for which I'd been waiting: "Is there anything I can help you find?"

Boy, did I run with that one.

I explained to her that I wanted a Bulldog, that there weren't any on the shelf, and that I was hoping to pick one up with my coupon.  Instead of stumbling over to the display to look for something that obviously wasn't there, or running around like a four year old after spotting Santa, she did the most wonderful thing: she walked over to a computer, found a Bulldog in their warehouse, and set it up to SHIP TO MY HOME, FOR FREE.  Boom.  That was it.  Easy, peasy.

I was both ecstatic and disgusted.

How freaking hard would it have been for either of the sales associates to offer to do that last week?  But yay!  Andrew will get the plane he wants.

Customer service is not rocket science.  Not by a long shot.  I went in to that store today, ready to throw down if Santa or any of his jolly little elves came along and distracted the sales associates from helping me. But, because of the simple effort of a knowledgeable employee, I left a happy customer who might just return to shop there again.

For now, the Disney Store is off my list.  This could be a record; to date, it's the only store that has landed on the list and then fallen off of it after just a few days.  Walt should be proud.


No comments:

Post a Comment